Recipes

Friday, August 24, 2018

In-Ground Fig Propagation


If you want to propagate a virtually unlimited number of fig trees try "sticking" fig cuttings in the fall.

In fairly level, well drained soil, dig or till a stip approximately 18" wide and 10"-12" deep and whatever length you want.



I like to smooth and mound the trench by raking but it's not necessary.



"Stick" 6"- 8" 1/2"- 3/4" thick cuttings cuttings with at least three to four nodes into the soil. The picture shows part of the cutting sticking out but I've since determined it's best to push them all the way under the soil to protect from cold temps. Make sure you keep track of the top and bottom of the cuttings. For this method, I cut the bottom on a diagonal and the top flat. You can also bury the fig cuttings 3"- 4" horizontally below the soil. I like to space the cuttings 16"-18" apart.


Your cuttings will set shoots in the spring and for some varieties will even produce figs.



I've used this method successfully for Celeste, Ischia, and Alma.


I usually wait until the trees go dormant to transplant them to their new location.

I found this method @: https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/propagating-hardwood-cuttings/



No comments:

Post a Comment